Alexandra Umlas • Amélie Frank • Angélique Jamail, Author • Ann Christine Tabaka • Bill Cushing • BooksMakeBooms.com • Carrie Magness Radna • Charlie Brice • Charlie Brice • Chuck Peek • Dakota Donovan • David Flynn • Debbie Hall • Dreams and Nightmares • Elizabeth Marchitti • Emily Vieweg, Poet • Hanoch Guy • Jeffrey Spahr-Summers • Jerry Garcia • joshuacorwin.com • Larry Bubar • Lawrence Berger • LB Sedlacek • LB Sedlacek • Lenny DellaRocca • M. J. Arcangelini • Magdalena Ball • Mary Langer Thompson • Nine Muses Poetry • Peggy Dobreer • Poet Caldwell Lee • Poetry Is An Essential Service • Poets INC (Inland North County) • Raindog • Rick Lupert • Rolland Vasin • Ron Kolm • Scott Ferry • SFPA – Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry Association • Silver Birch Press • Space Cowboy Books • Steve Braff • Suzanne O’Connell • Tebot Bach • The Poetry Market Ezine • The Poetry Salon • thebookdoc • Unlikely Books • Urtica Press • Voices Israel • Winning Writers
- The Poetry Super Highway Poetry Contest is open to all human beings on planet Earth. (except for the three judges)
- Enter as many poems as you like.
- Poems may be of any style, length, or subject matter.
- Previously published poems are accepted. However, because the contest is judged blindly (with names removed from the poems) if a judge recognizes a poem from somewhere, they have the right to mark it as ineligible.
- This contest is separate from weekly Poet of the Week consideration. Submissions for Poet of the week consideration must be separate from Contest Submissions and the same poems may not be submitted for both.
- There is a One Dollar Per Poem (US Funds Only) entry fee.
- Poems are sent to the three contest judges with your name removed. The judges score each poem from 0-5 using quarter point intervals. (0, .25, .5, .75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, etc…)
- Poems are sent to judges only after you fill out the Contest Entry Form and we have received your payment.
To enter gather your poems into a single document (either Word .doc, .docx or RTF).
- Do not include your name in the document.
- Please use a basic font such as Times New Roman, Helvetica or Arial.
- The deadline to enter is Saturday, September 19th, 2020 at midnight (pacific)
- If you are paying by check, the deadline for postmarking your entry fee is Saturday, September 19, 2020.
- Regardless of when you postmark, your entry fees must be received by Wednesday, September 23. So if you’re mailing your entry fee, please account for the amount of time it will take for your it to travel between your home and Los Angeles.
- This is a not for profit contest. All of the collected entry fees will be divided between the top three scoring poems (minus postage for mailing out additional prizes. See Prize List below)
- Once your entry fee is received, your poems will be sent with your name removed to the three judges who will score them 0 – 5 (5 being best).
- Your poems will not be forwarded to the judges until your entry fee is received.
- If you have any questions or need any of the contest details clarified, please e-mail Rick@PoetrySuperHighway.com
First Prize: 50% of the entry fees collected plus winning poem featured on the PSH website.
Second Prize: 30% of the entry fees collected plus winning poem featured on the PSH website.
Third Prize: 20% of the entry fees collected plus winning poem featured on the PSH website.
In addition, contest sponsor Rolland Vasin has donated $500 which will be added to the prize poet divided by the three winning poets. Also, thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, we are able to supplement the cash prizes with an impressive array of prizes which would be of interest to poets and writers. The following prizes will be used to bolster first through third prize as well as distributed to other contest entrants. Our goal is to be able to send every single person who enters the contest something.
3 copies of the book “At the Table of the Unknown” by Alexandra Umlas
15 copies of the book “Percy, Bob & Assenpoop” by Elliott Baker
Angélique Jamail, Author
3 copies of the book “FINIS” (first edition) by Angélique Jamail
Ann Christine Tabaka
2 copies of the book “No More Hallelujahs” by Ann Christine Tabaka
1 copy of the book “Music Speaks” by Bill Cushing
2 Sets of Richard Rensberry’s “Lighthouse Series of Books, Rhyme For Young Readers” Each set includes “If I Were A Lighthouse,” “Big Ships” and “Keepers of the Light”
Carrie Magness Radna
1 copy of the book “Remembering you as I go walking” by Carrie Magness Radna
1 copy of the book “An Accident of Blood” by Charlie Brice
2 copies of the book “Nebraska–Conflicting Reports” by Chuck Peek
5 copies of the book “L.A. Sleepers” by Dakota Donovan
2 copies of the book “Selected Poems” by David Flynn
1 copy of the book “Falling into the River” by Debbie Hall
Dreams and Nightmares
3 one-year subscriptiions to “Dreams and Nightmares” (pdf delivery)
1 copy of the chapbook “Growing Old Disgracefully” by Elizabeth Marchitti
Emily Vieweg, Poet
3 Broadside prints of winner’s choice from Emily Vieweg’s Etsy Shop
1 copy of the book “Springtime in Moldova;Fantasy and dreams poems” by Hanoch Guy
5 copies of the book “Reasons for Raisins” by Jeffrey Spahr-Summers
2 copies of the book “On Summer Solstice Road” by Jerry Garcia
2 signed copies of the book “Becoming Vulnerable” by Joshua Corwin
1 Featured Interview on the Assiduous Dust Podcast
1 copy of the book “Poetry of War Vol I” by Larry Bubar
1 copy of the book “Poetry of War Vol II” by Larry Bubar
1 copy of the book “Instant Poetry (just add words!)” by “Laughing” Larry Berger
1 copy of the book “Words and Bones” by LB Sedlacek
1 copy of the poetry booklet “Star Maps” by LB Sedlacek
1 copy of the poetry chapbook “Hey Astro!” by LB Sedlacek
1 copy of the poetry chapbook “I Am my Neighborhood Watch” by LB Sedlacek
2 copies of the book “Things I See in the Fire” by Lenny Dellarocca
M. J. Arcangelini
1 copy of the book “What the Night Keeps” by M.J. Arcangelini
1 copy of the book “A Quiet Ghost” by M.J. Arcangelini
1 copy of the book “High Wire Step” by Magdalena Ball
Mary Langer Thompson
1 copy of the book “Poems in Water” by Mary Langer Thompson
Nine Muses Poetry
5 copies of the book “What the Owl Taught Me” by Annest Gwilym
1 copy of the book “Drop and Dazzle” by Peggy Dobreer
1 free entry to E=Mc2Bodied Poetry Workshop or Private Session
Poet Caldwell Lee
2 copies of the book “COVID 19 A Compilation” by Caldwell Lee
Poetry Is An Essential Service
1 Poetry Is an Essential Service T-Shirt, Tote Bag or Mug (Winners choice)
Poets INC (Inland North County)
3 copies of the book “SUMMATION: Eleventh Annual Anthology” by Escondido Arts Partnership
1 copy of Lummox Poetry Anthology #6
1 copy of Lummox Poetry Anthology #8
1 copy of the book “The Tokyo-Van Nuys Express” by Rick Lupert
$500 added to the cash prize divided by the three winning poets
13 copies of the book “Welcome to the Barbecue” by Ron Kolm
2 copies of the book “The only thing that makes sense is to grow” by Scott Ferry
SFPA – Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry Association
1 digital membership with the SFPA.
1 digital membership with the SFPA.
Silver Birch Press
1 copy of the book “Alice in Wonderland Anthology of Poetry & Prose”
1 copy of the book “Bull: The Journey of a Freedom Icon” by James B. Golden
1 copy of the book “Bukowski: An Anthology of Poetry & Prose About Charles Bukowski”
1 copy of the book “Charles Bukowski: Epic Glottis” by Joan Jobe Smith
1 copy of the book “Coffee House Confessions” by Ellaraine Lockie
1 copy of the book “Dual Impressions” by John Brantingham and Jeffrey Graessley
1 copy of the book “Ides: A Collection of Poetry Chapbooks”
1 copy of the book “The Great Gatsby Anthology of Poetry & Prose”
1 copy of the book “The Hollywood Catechism” by Paul Fericano
1 copy of the book “Nancy Drew Anthology of Poetry & Prose”
1 copy of the book “Phoenix” by Philippa Mayall
1 copy of the book “Point Blank” by Alan King
1 copy of the book “Resurrection Party” by Michalle Gould
1 copy of the book “Romancing Gravity” by Daniel Romo
1 copy of the book “Self-Portrait Poetry Collection”
1 copy of the book “Silver: An Eclectic Anthology of Poetry & Prose”
1 copy of the book “Stanton, California” by Sam Silvas
1 copy of the book “Swallow Dance: A Collection of Poetry Chapbooks”
1 copy of the book “Vanilla Milk’ by Chanel Brenner
1 copy of the book “The Wolf Yearling” by Jeffrey Alfier
Space Cowboy Books
1 copy of the book “Future Anthropology” by Jean-Paul L. Garnier
1 copy of the book “Forty Days” by Steve Braff
The Poetry Market Ezine
1 one-month E-zine advertisement (a $10 value) – in “The Poetry Market Ezine”
The Poetry Salon
1 registration to the Poetry Salon’s “How to Think Like a Poet” E-Course
1 Reading Critique of a Manuscript
2 copies of the book “The Deepest Part of Dark” by Anne Elezabeth Pluto
2 copies of the book “Political AF” by Tara Campbell
1 copy of the book “Swimming Home” by Kayla Rodney
4 copies of the book “Manything” by dan raphael
1 copy of the book “The Mercy of Traffic” by Wendy Taylor Carlisle
3 copies of the book “Citizen Relent” by Jeff Weddle
1 copy of the book “Left Hand Dharma” by Belinda Subraman
1 copy of the book “Apocalyptics” by C. Derick Varn
1 copy of the book “Pachuco Skull” with Sombrero by Lawrence Welsh
1 copy of the book “When Red Blood Cells Leak” by Anne McMillen
1 copy of the book “Monolith” by Anne McMillen
1 copy of the book “Scorpions” by Joel Chace
1 copy of the book “brain:storm” by Michelle Greenblatt
1 copy of the book “Ashes and Seeds” by Michelle Greenblatt
1 copy of the book “Anchor What” by Vernon Frazer
1 copy of the book “a ship on the line” by Vincent A. Cellucci and Christopher Shipman
1 copy of the book “#specialcharacters” by Larissa Shmailo
1 copy of the book “Beautiful Rush” by Marc Vincenz
1 copy of the book “Gods of a Ransacked Century” by Marc Vincenz
2 books from the “Urtica” catalogue (winner’s choice)
2 copies of the book “A Second Decade of Poems” from Voices Israel
2 copies of the book “Poems to See By” by Julian Peters
Meet Your Judges
Angélique Jamail (Houston, Texas)
Angélique Jamail’s poetry, short fiction, and essays have appeared in over two dozen anthologies and journals, including New Reader Magazine, Waxwing, Time-Slice, Improbable Worlds, Pluck Magazine, The Milk of Female Kindness––An Anthology of Honest Motherhood, Untameable City: Poems on the Nature of Houston, Femmeliterate, Bayou City Magazine, and The Enchantment of the Ordinary. Her short story “Mother” was published in 2019 by Spider Road Press and nominated for Best Small Fictions. Her work was selected as a Finalist for the New Letters Prize in Poetry (2011). Her magic realism novelette Finis. (Odeon Press), first published in 2014, has been praised by fiction writer Ari Marmell as having “some of the most real people I’ve encountered via text in a long time,” and by poet Marie Marshall as “a witty tale of conformity, prejudice, and transformation, in a world that is disturbing as much for its familiarity as for its strangeness.” Her poetry collection The Sharp Edges of Water (Odeon Press) came out in 2018. She teaches Creative Writing and English in Houston and began serving on the Board of Directors for Mutabilis Press in December 2019. Find her online at her blog Sappho’s Torque and on social media.
Ellaraine Lockie (Sunnyvale, California)
Ellaraine Lockie is widely published and awarded as a poet, nonfiction book author and essayist. Her fourteenth chapbook, Sex & Other Slapsticks, was recently released from Presa Press. Earlier collections have won Poetry Forum’s Chapbook Contest Prize, San Gabriel Valley Poetry Festival Chapbook Competition, Encircle Publications Chapbook Contest, Best Individual Poetry Collection Award from Purple Patch magazine in England, and Aurorean’s Chapbook Choice Award. Ellaraine also teaches writing workshops and serves as Poetry Editor for the lifestyles magazine, LILIPOH.
Suzanne O’Connell (Los Angeles, California)
Suzanne O’Connell’s recently published work can be found in North American Review, Poet Lore, Paterson Literary Review, The Summerset Review, Good Works Review and Pudding Magazine. O’Connell was awarded second place in the Poetry Super Highway poetry contest, 2019. She was nominated twice for the Pushcart Prize. She received Honorable Mention in the Steve Kowit Poetry Prize, 2019. Her two poetry collections, A Prayer For Torn Stockings and What Luck, were published by Garden Oak Press. Visit Suzanne on the web here.
- July 1: Contest begins
- July 6-12: Judges featured as Poets of the Week
- July 12, 2:00 pm (pacific): PSH Live Judges Event: Live broadcast (Via Zoom and Facebook Live) where Judges will have the chance to read poems and discuss the contest and you can call in live and ask them questions. More info coming soon on how to tune in.
- September 19: Final deadline for contest entries. (Entry fees must be received by PayPal or postmarked by October 5 or they’ll be returned.)
- September 25: Judges deadline for returning scored poems.
- October 2: Second round scoring deadline (in the event of tied scores.)
- October 4, 2:00pm (pacific): PSH Live Event: “Winners Announced” in a special broadcast. Listen to it live and if any of the winners happen to be listening, they’ll be invited to call in and read their winning entries live on the air..
- October 5 – 11: Contest Winners featured as Poets of the Week.