Ain’t Got No Press • Alan Britt & Silvia Scheibli • Alexandra van de Kamp • Amber Decker • Amelie Frank • Ashira Malka • Blue Lyra Review • Books & Shovels • Clint Hirschfield • Corey Mesler • Curtis R. Smith • David C. Kopaska-Merkel • David Herrle • Diana Raab • Donna Pecore • Douglas Richardson • Ellaraine Lockie • Harry Calhoun • Ink Publications • Janet McCann • Jean Colonomos • Jerry Garcia • June Melby • Kaye Abikhaled • Ken Head • Larry Bubar • “Laughing” Larry Berger • Lone Stars Magazine • Magdalena Ball • Muddy River Poetry Review & Muddy River Books • Nancy Scott • Neil Meili • Nevillehiatt.com • New Downtown Brokerage • Nostrovia! Poetry • Peggy Dobreer • Rolland Vasin • Science Fiction Poetry Association • Squircle Line Press • Stanley H. Barkan-Cross-Cultural Communications • Sugartown Publishing • Susana H. Case • Sybaritic Press • The New Short Fiction Series • The Ontario Poetry Society • The Pedestrian Press • The SRO Poet • Voices Israel • William Doreski • Winning Writers • Wyatt Underwood • Zombie Logic Press
- The Poetry Super Highway Poetry Contest Is open to all human beings on planet Earth. (except for the three judges)
- Enter as many poems as you like.
- Poems may be of any style, length, or subject matter.
- This contest is separate from weekly Poet of the Week consideration though submissions for Poet of the week consideration must be separate from Contest Submissions and the same poems may not be submitted for both.
- There is a One Dollar Per Poem (US Funds Only) entry fee.
- Poems are sent to the three contest judges with your name removed. The judges score each poem from 0-5 using quarter point intervals. (0, .25, .5, .75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, etc…)
- Poems are sent to judges only after you fill out the Contest Entry Form and we have received your payment.
There are three easy steps to entering the contest:
- Deadline for postmarking entry fees (or paying them via PayPal) is Saturday, October 4, 2014.
- Regardless of when you postmark, your entry fees must be received by Wednesday, October 8, so if you’re mailing your entry fee, please account for the amount of time it will take for your it to travel between your home and Los Angeles.
- This is a not for profit contest. All of the collected entry fees will be divided between the top three scoring poems (minus postage for mailing out additional prizes. See Prize List below)
- Once your entry fee is received, your poems will be sent with your name removed to the three judges who will score them 0 – 5 (5 being best).
- Your poems will not be forwarded to the judges until your entry fee is received.
- If you have any questions or need any of the contest details clarified, please e-mail Contest@PoetrySuperHighway.com
First Prize: 50% of the entry fees collected plus winning poem featured on the PSH
Second Prize: 30% of the entry fees collected plus winning poem featured on the PSH.
Third Prize: 20% of the entry fees collected plus winning poem featured on the PSH.
In addition, thanks to sponsor Rolland Vasin, an additional $250 will be added to the entry fees collected and divided with the above percentages among the top three scoring poets.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, we are able to supplement the cash prizes with an impressive array of prizes which would be of interest to poets and writers.
The following prizes will be used to bolster first through third prize as well as distributed to other contest entrants.
Our goal is to be able to send every single person who enters the contest something.
Ain’t Got No Press
1 copy of the book “The Gettysburg Undress” by Rick Lupert
Alan Britt & Silvia Scheibli
2 copies of the book “Parabola Dreams: Poems” by Silvia Scheibli & Alan Britt
Alexandra van de Kamp
2 copies of the book “The Park of Upside-Down Chairs” y Alexandra van de Kamp
2 copies of the book “True North” by Amber Decker
1 copy of the anthology “Journey to Crone” from Chuffed Buff Books
5 copies of the book “Percy, Bob & Assenpoop” by Elliott Baker
5 copies of the book “In the Strongest Light” by Terry Zacuto
100 poetry packs with poem-stickers and/or cards written and designed by Ashira Malka
Blue Lyra Review
2 copies of the anthology “Blue Lyra Review”
Books & Shovels
1 copy of the book “No Photo Shopping the Sun” by Mad Hatter
1 copy of the book “The Pendle War Poetry Competition 2013 Anthology”
1 Signed copy of the book “The Catastrophe of my Personality” by Corey Mesler
Curtis R. Smith
2 copies of the book “I, Poetic Confessions, II” by Curtis R. Smith
David C. Kopaska-Merkel
1 one-year (3 issue) subscription to “Dreams & Nightmares, the magazine of fantastic poetry.” The subscription will include issue #100 (January, 2015).
1 copy of the book “Sharon Tate and the Daughters of Joy” by David Herrle
2 copies of the book “Lust: Poems” by Diana Raab
3 copies of the book “Listening to Africa: Poems” by Diana Raab
3 copies of the book, “Writers on the Edge: An Anthology” by Diana Raab (editor)
1 copy of the book “Bindle Stick” by Donna Pecore
1 copy of the book “The Book of Good Dreams” by Douglas Richardson
1 copy of the book “Coffee House Confessions” by Ellaraine Lockie
2 copies of the chapbook “Maintenance and Death” by Harry Calhoun
1 copy of the book “Juggling Fire, Blindfolded” by Eric Evans
2 copies of the book “The Crone at the Casino” by Janet McCann
1 copy of the book “Emily’s Dress” by Janet McCann
1 copy of the book “Nothing in New England is New” by Rick Lupert
1 copy of the book “Art Farm” by Jean Colonomos
3 8×10 photographs from Jerry Garcia’s Etsy Collection “Black & White and Desaturated Photographs”
1 copy of the memoir “My Family and Other Hazards” by June Melby
1 copy of the book “Childhood in the Third Reich: World War II and its aftermath” by Kaye Voigt Abikhaled
1 copy of the book “Club des Poètes – poems about Paris and surroundings” by Kaye Voigt Abikhaled
1 copy of the book “Lyrics of Lebanon – poetry about Beirut, family relationships” by Kaye Voigt Abikhaled
3 copies of the book “Prospero’s Bowl” by Ken Head
1 copy of the book “Life Isn’t Always a Bed of Roses” by Larry O. Bubar
“Laughing” Larry Berger
2 copies of the book “Entitlement Instant Poetry Just add words volume 2” by Lawrence Berger
Lone Stars Magazine
1 copy of a past issue of “Lone Stars Poetry Magazine”
5 electronic copies of the book “Repulsion Thrust” by Magdalena Ball
Muddy River Poetry Review & Muddy River Books
2 books reviewed by Zvi A Sesling this year
2 copies of the book “Down to the Quick” by Nancy Scott
2 copies of an author selected chapbook by Neil Meili
1 set of the matching hand numbered books “The Bard from Ballarat Volume one” and “The Bard from Ballarat Volume two” both by Neville Hiatt
New Downtown Brokerage
1 copy of the book “The Inferno of Dante” by Robert Pinsky
1 copy of the book “Tales from Ovid” by Ted Hughes
1 copy of the book “The Smell of St. Joan’s Flesh” by Dreamer
1 copy of the book “Little Captures” by Peggy Dobreer
$250 added to the prize pool divided amongst the top three scoring poets.
Science Fiction Poetry Association
2 one-year .pdf subscriptions to Star*Line
Squircle Line Press
1 gift set (worth $25) of “Shakespeare’s 450th Anniversary” commemorative postcard magnets
1 copy of the book “Singular Acts of Endearment” by Desmond Kon Zhicheng-Mingdé
Stanley H. Barkan-Cross-Cultural Communications
1 copy of the book “Raisins with Almonds / Pàssuli cu mènnuli” by Stanley H. Barkan (bilingual: translated into Sicilian by Marco Scalabrino)
1 book of the contest winner’s choice from Sugartown Publishing’s catalog of poetry publications.
Susana H. Case
1 copy of the book “Elvis Presley’s Hips & Mick Jagger’s Lips” by Susana H. Case
2 copies of the book “Near Kin: Words and Art Inspired by Octavia E. Butler”, edited by Marie Lecrivain
1 copy of the book “From the Mundane to the Magical Poetic Moments” by Lita Luise Chappell
1 copy of the book “Book of the Unnamed Midwife” by Meghan Elison
2 copies of the book “Alternate Lanes: An Anthology of Travel Using Alternate Transportation in the City of Angels” edited by Marie Lecrivain
2 copies of the book “Love Poems… Yes… REALLY… Love Poems” by Marie Lecrivain
The New Short Fiction Series
2 tickets to any 2014 or 2015 performance of The New Short Fiction Series at The Federal Bar in North Hollywood, California ($20 value)
The Ontario Poetry Society
2 copies of the book “Encompass 111 Series Poetry Anthology” edited by by Fran Figge
The Pedestrian Press
2 books of the entrants choice from any title in the Pedestrian Press Catalog
The SRO Poet
2 copies of the book “The News Factory” by Matthew Abuelo
2 copies of the “Voices Israel” poetry anthology
2 copies of the book “The Suburbs of Atlantis” by William Doreski
2 signed copies of the book “Swallow” by Jendi Reiter
1 copy of the book “Love in Interesting Times” by Wyatt Underwood
1 copy of the book “Under the Influence” by Wyatt Underwood
Zombie Logic Press
1 copy of the book “Detached Retinas” by Thomas L. Vaultonburg
1 copy of the book “Flesh Wounds” by Thomas L. Vaultonburg
1 copy of the book “Submerged Structure” by Thomas L. Vaultonburg
Publication of 3-5 previously unpublished poems in Zombie Logic Review
Meet Your Judges
Aaron Gardner (Ojai, California)
is a poet, educator, and father of two phenomenal children. He has been heavily involved in the spoken word scene since 1999, and was the Oakland Grand Slam Champion in 2010. He has been published in journals and online publications such as Ibid, Rivertalk, Cult 456, and Poetry Superhighway. Aaron continues his work locally with young poets to help them discover their voices and the power contained therein.
Douglas Richardson (Los Angeles, California)
is a novelist and poet who lives with his wife, Jen. He has had fiction and poetry published in literary journals, such as The Nervous Breakdown, Straight Forward Poetry, Misfits’ Miscellany, and Aesthetica (UK), as well as in the anthologies The Night Goes On All Night and Ekphrastia Gone Wild. For more information, please visit Douglas’s Kirkus Pro Connect page, at https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/douglas-richardson/
Hannah Dow (Hattiesburg, Mississippi)
is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University’s English M.A. program. She is now pursuing her Ph.D. in English and Creative Writing at the University of Southern Mississippi’s Center for Writers in Hattiesburg. Her work has been featured in Poetry Super Highway, as well as in journals such as Literary Laundry and Contrary Magazine. She is honored to be judging this year’s contest. .
- July 15: Contest begins
- July 21 – 27: Judges featured as Poets of the Week
- July 27, 2:00 pm (pacific): PSH Live Judges Event: Live broadcast where Judges will have the chance to read poems and discuss the contest and you can call in live and ask them questions. Click here for more info.
- October 4: Final deadline for contest entries. (Entry fees must be received by PayPal or postmarked by October 4 or they’ll be returned.)
- October 10: Judges deadline for returning scored poems.
- October 17: Second round scoring deadline (in the event of tied scores.)
- October 19: 2pm (pacific) PSH Live Event: “Winners Announced” in a special broadcast. Listen to it live and if any of the winners happen to be listening, they’ll be invited to call in and read their winning entries live on the air..
- October 20 – 26: Contest Winners featured as Poets of the Week.